Monday 1 July 2013

Letters and sounds folders

Phonics has become more important recently with the new Year 6 Spelling and Grammar SAT paper.
We teach phonics by separating children by ability on small focus groups following the plans based on the DfE Letters and Sounds program. In the early stages we combine Jolly Phonics for phase 2 and 3.
As we have lots of support staff whose responsibility it is to deliver the lesson I have organised folders for each member of staff new to teaching phonics this year.

Each folder is divided into sections, with the plans for the phase they are teaching in one section. I have colour coded the plans to go with the colour of the letters and sounds document. This example is for phase 5. I would like to achieve consistency in all teaching staff and have put in my daily lesson plans 4 parts- review, teach, practise and apply.

I added some mnemonic flashcards so people can cut out and laminate them as they need.

 
...and some different ones that show phonemes from phase 2  to phase 5

I have also included in separated sections; each part of the vast letters and sounds document. The chapter you see here is for phase 2.

Letters and Sounds is a big part of KS1. It works very well and I am trying to fit in practising 'alien' words in preparation for the Year 1 Phonics screening assessment.

No comments:

Post a Comment